Leadership for senior management
Duration: 3 days, to be designed as per request
Translate vision into reality
Developing direction, setting standards, inspire and manage change
“Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things…”
The very essence of leadership is that leaders have to have a vision. It’s got to be a vision they articulate clearly and show consistently on every occasion they get. This vision must be inspiring and challenging, ambitious and motivating, all at the same time.
Senior managers have far-reaching responsibilities; they have to have a crystal ball in which to see the future, they have to manage dealing with the present and they need to take responsibility for the past. Complicated tasks by themselves, let alone all of them together!
This training will focus on the three essential elements of leadership for top management:
- Doing the right things; leaders need to continuously monitor the vision, mission and goals of the organization. They need to be able to determine when the direction needs to be adjusted. A constant analysis between the organization and its environment is needed, to make these determinations possible. The translation of this into strategy is essential to the success of the organization.
- Doing things right; the determination of which things to do is impossible without the right monitoring. Leaders need to determine objective standards, that completely and correctly reflect, whether we are doing the right things ánd whether we are doing them right. One of the biggest reasons for ineffective strategies and inefficient operations is, that there are too many, too detailed measurements or that they are measuring wrong things all together.
- Getting people to do things right; organizations consist of people. A leaders’ biggest responsibillity is to get the message across. People, that know, understand ánd support the vision of the organization take it to the next level. They will be the ones achieving operational results. Leaders, that inspire people get the message across in the present. Leaders, that are able to manage change, will continue to do so in the future.
Part 1: A sense of direction: doing the right things
- Developing vision, mission and goals
- Directing the development of the organization
- Analyzing the environment
- Determining future competencies
- Strategic analysis
- Composing the corporate strategic plan
What is the relationship between the vision, the mission and the goals of the organization? How are these goals achieved? What is the organizations strategy?
To answer these questions, it is essential to link the environment to the core competencies of the organization; not only at the present day, but more importantly, in the future as well. Analyzing the environment and its development, as well as the development of the organization is a vital part of this process.
Part 2: Measure effectively: doing things right
- Performance management
- Manage (for) results
- Identifying KPI’s: the key to success
- Quality- and processmanagement
- Project oriented approaches
- Managing projects
The second part will focus on the process of determination and starts by knowing which things are the right things and how to determine whether we do them right. Having set standards doesn’t automatically mean we achieve them. How to manage quality of processes, defining and managing projects and manage results is essential.
Part 3: Inspire and manage change: getting people to do things right
- Inspire vision and mission
- Taking a helicopter view from daily routines
- Motivate and inspire
- Manage for responsibility
- Situational management
- Composing successful teams
- Change management
- Recognizing trends
- Managing change
The third part focusses on the most essential element of the success of the organization: people. How do we get people to achieve results? How do we get them to take responsibility? How do we define the right teams to populate the projects we defined in day 2? We will focus on recognizing trends and needs for change. Improvement processes will be discussed and implemented to facilitate change in the future.
How can this work for your
company and people?
The goal of this training course is three-fold:
- The participant will have a thorough comprehension of organizational goals and KPI’s and the translation to operational goals and KPI’s;
- the participant will have more understanding of his own style of leadership and how it can be improved;
- the participant will have more instruments to execute the tasks of supervisor/leader;
- the participant will understand and be able to deal with the challenges of being a supervisor/leader in the team they were a part of.
The results for the participants is as follows:
- The participant:
- has more insights in their strengths and weaknesses as a supervisor/leader and is able to deal with them better;
- is able to apply a variety of conversational, communicational and discussing techniques to their own practical working situation;
- organizes his own work and that of his employees better;
- anticipates the various needs of the employees;
- leads with more self-confidence.
The organization benefits from the following results, managers:
- represent the company’s interest better;
- facilitate communication between operations and (top-) management;
- are sensitive to feedback and deal with this in every day working situations;
- deal with difficult situations more effectively;
- fit their style of leadership better to their employees.
Through its highly interactive nature; this program helpst vision, mission and goals, as well as determination of strategy to be achieved as an organization. Because of this, results in and of this training are generated in groups, that together perform tasks in the course. Particular attention will be paid to incorporating the results and approaches into the organization. This way, a strong foundation is provided for the process in the future.
It inspires participants to the maximum to apply the principles. Leaders, having completed this program will be intrinsically equipped to enhance corporate strategy and direction, policies and their results.
“Arvid helped us to redefine our commercial strategy. His business wisdom, his energy and sense of humor made it wonderful to work with him and led to clear decisions, executable plans and ultimately 50% growth.”
CEO, Intelligent Automation
“We always look forward to having him around as our organization becomes a little brighter when he is around…”
Learning & Development, Maritime
“Our learning and development has improved greatly because of their inspiration and energetic sessions.”
HR Manager, Telco
“Extraordinarily engaged and committed people.”
HR manager, Education
“A very effective, no-nonsense approach to our strategy and implementation through their Pull Principle…”
Director, Cultural Organization
“Their consultants are different from the ones I have worked with in other firms; Q management doesn’t stop till the job is done and the results achieved.”
SCM manager, Oil & Gas